Forgot password? | Forgot username? | Register
  • Index
  • » Users
  • »
  • » Profile



Due the increased chance of storms tomorrow afternoon, I have change the start time to 8:30 AM from 9:30 AM. Leader will also offer short cuts to route if the weather is uncertain. I will be checking the weather forecast for tomorrow, and will cancel the ride if the chance of rain is too high.

Due to bridge repairs on Black Mills Rd just before Layman Rd, I created a slightly revised cue sheet named Thurmont Medium Detour 2019. I will be using this cue sheet for Saturday's ride. I have also updated the RidewithGPS TCX file.The detour adds about 0.4 miles to the ride. Please note the change if you have already printed the previous cue sheet or downloaded the TCX file.

Predicted rain is 80% at the ride start. It will clear later, but an 11 am start is too late for a Taneytown ride of 55 miles.
I plan to do the Carroll Manor ride.
Maybe next week.

Due to predicted winds in excess of 20 mph, I have cancelled this ride. I will reschedule for next week.

Hi All
Since entering this ride, I have learned that Valley road in Glen Rock is now open again. However, Sticks Rd PA Rt 216 is closed at Myers Rd. I have therefore re routed again the 48 version to avoid the Rt 216 bridge outage. The 38 mile version is Carol's original version requiring no changes.
However, the other possible detour occurs at the Gemmill Rd/ Deer Creek intersection. When I did a ride through this intersection several weeks ago, there was bridge construction on Gemmill but I could walk my bike around it. I have no idea of what the current status of the intersection is now. It could be open, totally blocked or still partially blocked. The riders doing the 48 mile version will come into the intersection at speed descending Gemmill and will need to be especially vigilant!!
If the intersection to totally blocked, the detour is to go back on Deer Creek and make a left turn onto Brose (and climb another hill).
It will be windy tomorrow. However, this ride had hills and valleys which will block  the wind.
Hope to see you tomorrow.
Ed Cahill

Jan-20-19 07:31 am
Road bike gearing for better climbing
Category: Technical

In the past with 10 speed,I had to go 105 to get a long arm RD. With 11 speed I am not so sure. Check with your LBS.

After discussions with other BBC members, I have replaced the former pancake ride to Union Bridge from South Carroll HS with 2 rides from Howard County's Western Regional Park to Damascus.
Like many club members, I really missed the pancake rides and was trying to use these great routes again. Unfortunately, Union Bridge does not have a restaurant that seats more than 8 people. In the winter, that is a non-starter; you need an indoor rest stop. So I made the change.

On today's ride, I learned that the bridge from Syndersburg Rd onto Cape Horn is out. This detour will affect several club routes to Manchester.

I have substituted Streams, Valleys, and Markets for this Sunday. The MVM is too open for the temperature and wind combination. SVM is more protected from the 10-20 mile an hour winds predicted.
The leaves will look better next weekend also

Aug-12-18 05:05 pm
Category: Social
Forum: Ride Reports

My apologies to those riders on today's ride for the errors. I missed the mistake on the Freeland turn. It should have been a right not left. The cue sheet has been corrected.
Hopefully, the bridge on Blooming Grove will soon be repaired and the detour will not be needed.

  • Index
  • » Users
  • »
  • » Profile

Board Info

Board Stats
Total Topics:
Total Polls:
Total Posts:
Posts this week:
User Info
Total Users:
Newest User:
Edward Steinberg
Members Online:
Guests Online: